Trying To ConceiveAs I've previously mentioned, I did not go the herbal route when I was trying to conceive or pregnant.
I also believe you should talk with your doctor before taking herbs especially if you're already pregnant. However, I thought I'd link to this site seemed very informative and talks about miscarriage both from the Chinese and Western perspective (keep in mind this is a commercial site, but still worth reading):
See Also My Site On Alternative Medicine and Home Remedies For Miscarriage
From the article:
Causes of “Threatened miscarriages”:
1. “Kidney Qi Vacuity”, either because of a weak constitution, depleted “Kidney” essence from overindulgent sexual activity or to a history of frequent miscarriages.
2. Impairment of the “Spleen” and “stomach” leading to “Qi” and “Blood Vacuity”.
3. Internal heat disturbing the fetus, often resulting from stagnation because of emotional stress.
4. Fetal qi can also be adversely affected by the development of another illness during pregnancy. In addition the effects of traumatic injury, surgery and herbal and pharmaceuticals can threaten miscarriage
Chinese Herbs Must Address the Underlying Cause of the Threatened Miscarriage.
1. Threaten miscarriage cause by “Kidney Qi Vacuity”
Clinical Manifestations: Slight vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, dark discharge, lower backache and in some cases a bearing down sensation and pain in the abdomen; accompanied by dizziness, vertigo, tinnitus, frequent urination, night time urination, even urinary incontinence in sever cases. Tongue: Pale with white coating Pulse: deep, weak, slippery
Treatment Method: Secure the Kidney, Boost the Qi, Calm the Fetus Chinese herbal formula to treat a threatened miscarriage caused by “Kidney Qi Vacuity”:Fetal Longevity Pill (Shou tai wan)
2. Threaten miscarriage cause by “Qi and Blood Vacuity”
Clinical Manifestations: Slight vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, discharge that is thin and pale red, and in some cases, pain and a bearing down sensation of the lower back and abdomen with tireness, fatigue, pale complexion, palpitations and shortness of breath.
Tongue: Pale with thin white coat Pulse: Thready, slippery
Treatment Method: Supplement Qi, nourish the blood, secure the kidney and quiet the fetus. Chinese herbal formula to treat a threatened miscarriage caused be Qi and Blood vacuity: Fetal Origin Decoction (Tai Yuan Yin)
3. Threaten miscarriage cause by “Blood Heat”
Clinical Manifestations: Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, discharge that is bright red in color: pain, distention, and bearing down sensation of the lower back and abdomen accompanied by irritability, dry mouth and throat, dark scanty urine and constipation.
Tongue: Red with dry yellow coating Pulse: Rapid, slippery or wiry, slippery
Treatment Method: Nourish Yin, cool blood, clear heat, quiet the fetus Chinese Herbal Formula to treat Threatened Miscarriage caused by “Blood Heat”: Yin-Safeguarding Decoction (Bao Yin Jian)
4. Threaten miscarriage cause by a traumatic injury
Clinical Manifestation: History of falling, twisting the back or overstrain during pregnancy, resulting in vaginal bleeding; or lower backache and abdominal distention and bearing down sensation.
Tongue: Normal; in some cases dark Pulse: Slippery, forceless.
Treatment Method: Supplement the qi, regulate the blood, quiet the fetus. Chinese herbal formula to treat Threatened Miscarriage caused by a traumatic injury: Sagely Cure Decoction (Sheng Yu Tang)